The TaikOz School gives adults and children the opportunity to experience and explore the wonderful music and fascinating history of taiko drumming.
Located in the Sydney suburb of Ultimo, the TaikOz School holds taiko classes every day of the week.
You can choose a one-off Introductory Taiko Workshop, held through out the year, or book into an 8-week taiko drumming class. All classes cater to all levels of experience and no prior musical training is required.
SIGN UP FOR 2013 NOW!
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN DURING THE TERM
Our taiko drumming classes follow a set curriculum, including technical instruction in striking the taiko, studying practice pieces, movement, dance, and song. History and conceptual ideas are also covered over the course of the term.
When you join, you will start to develop skills in music making as well as doing the most important thing - having a great time!
You can download the timetable for Term 2, 2013.
Our 'Taiko is for Everyone' Introductory Taiko Workshops are open to all ages and prior musical training is not a requirement.
If you have enjoyed a TaikOz performance and would like to learn how to play the awe-inspiring Japanese taiko, why not try our 90 minute 'Taiko is for Everyone' Introductory Taiko Workshop.
For experienced taiko players, the TaikOz School offers an annual Taiko Intensive camp and the Individual Development Program.
The annual Taiko Intensive is held every January. The Intensive is open to taiko enthusiasts from all over the world. The Individual Development Program is an audition-only 6-month course held in Sydney.
The TaikOz School classes are located at Level W40, The Ultimo Trade Centre, 42-46 Wattle Street, Ultimo, NSW
Onikenbai Club is dedicated to the practice of the unique dance and music of the Onikenbai tradition (Demon Sword Dance).
The club is open to all current TaikOz school members, regardless of experience level. Onikenbai is a beautiful, strong and fascinating dance form that hails from Iwate Prefecture, Japan.
WHEN: Every Saturday until end of Term 4
WHAT TO BRING: Loose-fitting clothing, water bottle, towel, *ôgi (folding fan), *obi (sash that you tie around your waist), *katana (Japanese sword, or a piece of bamboo/dowel that is roughly the same size as katana).
- You must be enrolled in a weekly taiko class
- You must bring the necessary basic equipment with you
* If you require assistance with these items email firstname.lastname@example.org
To join the Onikenbai Club email email@example.com
1) Full payment must be made prior to commencement of a workshop or term of classes.
2) Payments are not refundable or transferable.
3) Should a participant be disruptive in a class or workshop, TaikOz reserves the right to terminate the person's involvement.
4) By taking part in a workshop or class, the participant certifies they do not suffer from any pre-existing condition that may be exacerbated or aggravated by participation in the class or workshop. If there is any doubt please contact your doctor and TaikOz prior to involvement.
5) Taiko drumming is a very physical experience and while the classes or workshops are designed to suit all ages, TaikOz will not be responsible for any injury that may result from a class or workshop.
6) Should circumstances cause cancellation of a class or workshop TaikOz will advise at the earliest possible time and, if possible, an alternative will be offered or a full refund given.
7) TaikOz reserves the right to cancel any class or workshop if minimal numbers are not met. TaikOz will notify you and make every effort to move you into an alternative class or workshop or a full refund given.
8) The submission of your booking signifies your agreement with these terms and conditions.
9) Concession prices are valid for pensioners and students.
If you have any questions regarding workshop and class information please phone (02) 9280 4260 or email firstname.lastname@example.org