Our online Taiko Time classes are designed for students with some taiko playing experience. These classes focus on the integration of movement of bachi, arms and body, good sound production, development of speed, endurance, breath control, and a solid sense of rhythm.
Key learning points are:
- Studying a variety of traditional taiko styles
- Learning the accompanying kuchi shoga (taiko rhythm vocals)
- Learning and practicing a musical composition
- Practicing pieces called renshu that involve specific musical and technical challenges
- Developing general musicianship
- Short discussions and observations about traditional taiko styles
- Learning about aspects of Japanese culture and taiko history
Our new online lunchtime class is in response to the recent COVID-19 pandemic and is a means to engage students who are unable to attend our regular studio classes. From time to time we will adjust the class content according to student's needs.
You will receive more information about the class once you have booked in.
You will also need to check that your internet is a strong and stable connection, as this suits the format of the class and will make for a more satisfying experience.
- Please ensure you have a practice pad (drum pad)
- Bachi or drumsticks for the practice pad
- Enough space around you for stretching and basic single drum practice
- We recommend that you wear comfortable gym like clothing
** Please note the class time is listed in AEST Daylight Savings Time (Australian Eastern Time - Sydney, NSW)